cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Time Error

alif18
Mt. Kenya

I recorded a hike on my Garmin Etrex with an elapsed time of 4:12:51 and moving time of 3:54:26. When it loaded to Strava the elapsed time showed as 4:12:46 which is fine but the moving time came up as 00:00:59 giving a pace of 11s/mile. A new world record! Any ideas why Strava would not pick up the correct stats from Garmin?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @alif18 

Thanks for posting about this.  We calculate your moving time based on your activity's GPS locations, distance, and speed. A very inaccurate moving time is often the result of erroneous GPS data, or a GPS recording where there are big gaps between the recorded GPS points.  I recommend checking your Garmin GPS device to see if there's an option to increase the sampling rate of your GPS.  That may help for future recordings.  

Full details on how we calculate moving time 

I hope that's helpful.  If you would like someone from our Support Team to take a look at your activity please submit a support ticket and someone will be happy to troubleshoot with you directly.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @alif18 

Thanks for posting about this.  We calculate your moving time based on your activity's GPS locations, distance, and speed. A very inaccurate moving time is often the result of erroneous GPS data, or a GPS recording where there are big gaps between the recorded GPS points.  I recommend checking your Garmin GPS device to see if there's an option to increase the sampling rate of your GPS.  That may help for future recordings.  

Full details on how we calculate moving time 

I hope that's helpful.  If you would like someone from our Support Team to take a look at your activity please submit a support ticket and someone will be happy to troubleshoot with you directly.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Hi, this happened to me today on the trails - my actual moving time was 4:08 but Strava only recognised 3:20. Would this effect my overall distance? And with what you have suggested above how does that affect battery life? I’m about to do an Ultra that will take about 8-9 hours? 
thanks