cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove "walks" from running challenges and expand challenges for walks

runprime
Shkhara

Walks have been added to running challenges as of January 2024 and as a person who does both run and walk acitvities as separate sports, this has ruined the experience of challenges in the app for me, and in general.

My walks are no counting towards running challenges which rightly used to be separate. They are separate sports.

I found an idea here from last year where somebody requested the opposite and now it has been implemented. From their point of view, they were lesser abled and some walks "felt" like runs to them, which i acknowledge - however, the solution there is ti simply record a running workout on your device, not a walk.

To improve the experience for walkers then more 5k, 10k and monthly mileage challenges can be set up to keep it interesting. 

Last year I really enjoyed tracking my walking challenge and sepaately doing the running challenges. 

Now there are fewer challenges in total which seems like the app is getting worse, not better.

Also importantly need to point out that runs are not included in the walking challenges.... I guess that's the real punchline to this joke.

109 REPLIES 109

shartattacc
Shkhara

The challenges have been made much easier - perhaps this idea could help Strava and us meet in the middle?

https://communityhub.strava.com/t5/ideas/add-ranked-or-tiered-challenge-objectives-to-strava-challen...

srybarczyk
Mt. Kenya

As a runner and a walker, I can’t understand why my walks should be included in my run challenges! They’re two completely separate activities. I dress completely different and the motivation needed for runs is completely different. I work hard for those run challenges, and would love to see longer distance walk challenges, but they’re two separate entities! Please separate them again.  

I totally agree that these activities use to be seperated, and it also ruines the challenge for me.

I think maybe it's done by Strava, because there is a premium option, in the paid version, for controlling your monthly goals, and the run challenge (for example 100k/month) could be an option to sail around opting in for the paid version.....

if that's the reason, then it has backfired, because it has lead me to cancel, and I stated in my cancellation that it was because of this and the dumbing down of 'challenges' in general.

I don't really use all the extra features of the subscription, I did it to support the platform, but support works both ways. 

Absolutely agree. It’s totally ruined the main use of the app for me, which was to challenge myself and keep myself accountable with my running. It seems like Strava is making the challenges easier and easier which is ok for beginners but is completely ignoring and alienating its base audience of athletes! Why can’t there be “easy” challenges for beginners and then harder running challenges for people who already run? Why are beginners now the only ones who get to have fun with challenges?

I remember when I first saw someone complete the 300km run challenge… it was inspiring.

STRAVA DOESNT WANT TO INSPIRE US ANYMORE.

It’s an awful idea and in opinion is not working, it’s ruining My distance and elevation challenges…. Already failed the January 2000m elevation as I had no idea walking was now in the mix. Running is running. 

hi @srybarczyk this is so frustrating isn't it?! I posted about it w hile ago and there is growing support from others like us who run and walk separately (for obvious reasons.... walking is not running) 

head over here and join the discussion: https://communityhub.strava.com/t5/strava-features-chat/remove-quot-walks-quot-from-running-challeng...

yantonov
Shkhara

I figured out now, that subscription is useless now, why?
For me I use it only for trophy case (just to preserve statistics), now
a) 200k, 300k were removed.
b) 100k it's combined with walk.
So, run challenges at all are now completely broken and useless, therefore there is no profit to update\have a subscription! Because except trophy case where is an advantage to have it?
Great move Strava and awesome product decision!!!
My applause to product managers!

Craig1976
Shkhara

I have just had to change all my walks to ‘hike’ this has now removed all walking from my monthly run totals in challenges and this has also kept in the footwear I was using.

I tried to change walks to ice skating as a protest but ‘gear’ footwear used got removed.

I like to keep track on distances of footwear so from now on all ‘walks’ will be logged as a ‘hike’ as Strava simply do not care about this very random thinking on their behalf.