cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove "walks" from running challenges and expand challenges for walks

runprime
Shkhara

Walks have been added to running challenges as of January 2024 and as a person who does both run and walk acitvities as separate sports, this has ruined the experience of challenges in the app for me, and in general.

My walks are no counting towards running challenges which rightly used to be separate. They are separate sports.

I found an idea here from last year where somebody requested the opposite and now it has been implemented. From their point of view, they were lesser abled and some walks "felt" like runs to them, which i acknowledge - however, the solution there is ti simply record a running workout on your device, not a walk.

To improve the experience for walkers then more 5k, 10k and monthly mileage challenges can be set up to keep it interesting. 

Last year I really enjoyed tracking my walking challenge and sepaately doing the running challenges. 

Now there are fewer challenges in total which seems like the app is getting worse, not better.

Also importantly need to point out that runs are not included in the walking challenges.... I guess that's the real punchline to this joke.

116 REPLIES 116

counech
Mt. Kenya

Hi,

To be heard about the previous idea : "✓ Run Challenges - Allow Walk to count as well "

So much person want to come back. Everybody agree with walking is not running. it breaks motivation. It's more difficult to run 100km than walk 100km. 

Please, Strava, listen the population want to have run 100km challenge for only running. 

Hubert12
Shkhara

I’ve been a member since 2019 and a paid subscriber since 2020, my renewal is due on the 20th Feb and it won’t be renewed if this isn’t solved. 

seems that no one is paying attention to our messages and this is getting me very annoyed. 

Well said Hubert12, I’ve removed myself from all running challenges and also questioning my long standing paid subscription from 2020. It’s not a cheap app!

Anne1
Shkhara

Wouldn't it be better to include more walking challenges in order to be more inclusive rather than lumping walking in with running? I value running and walking as separate sports - they are not the same. I have removed myself from the February 'running' challenges as there seems little point to it now. Also, why has the walking challenge been reduced to 30km instead of 50km? If someone feels that they want the 100km challenge for walking, why not create a 100km walking challenge instead of ruining the running challenge and the 50km walking challenge? It makes no sense! Are you listening Strava? Why no response to the pages of comments?

Aqua4
Shkhara

I joined this forum specifically to have a moan about this change. Walking is NOT running and it devalues the badge. It’s a challenge for me to meet the 100k run, but not when it includes walking. I ‘get’ the inclusivity aspects, but if people want to record their walks as runs that’s their choice. This change impacts people who like to keep completely different forms of exercise separate. PLEASE CHANGE IT BACK STRAVA. Plus while I’m on it, why reduce the 50k walk challenge to 30k? 30k is too low. Why not have different distances. 

Same, the only reason I am here! 

Hubert12
Shkhara

At least change the name of the challenge if this starts including Walks!

Create a walk challenge and/or a Run-Walk challenge but please don't impact the Run challenge!

Please rectify this as this is not great for an App that started with Running! 

Thank you the good people of Strava, but keep your runners happy, they are more likely to be your paid subscribers!

Joshearing
Mt. Kenya

I think the addition of walking activities has diluted the achievement of earning the RUN 100k in a month.  why couldn't a Walk 100km challenge be added instead? 

A lot of us totally agree with you.  There are two existing threads on this subject.  Please add your comments to those and your kudos to the one asking to remove walks.  Not like Strava will actually listen to us, but at least it keeps the discussion going for others to see.  

Remove "walks" from running challenges and expand ... - Strava Community Hub
✓ Run Challenges - Allow Walk to count as well - Strava Community Hub

Clare
Mt. Kenya

I completely agree, run and walk should be seperated!

As part of the run everyday January challenge I had set myself, I had also wanted to complete the 100k for the month. To then realise it now included walks has really put a damper on it. 

I hope Strava review this and put it back to how it was, and also bring back to walk 50k!!