cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect power meter data

erlendostbye
Mt. Kenya

I have a 4iiii power meter, and i have discovered that there is a discrepancy between the average power i displayed in Garmin Connect and Strava. On my last ride Garmin claimed 223W, while Strava claimed 167W (Not too big numbers... hehe). That 56W in difference. I have checked that the power meter is registered, and that Strava does not estimate the power. Does anyone know how to fix this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @erlendostbye 

Thanks for posting about this and apologies for any confusion.

Weighted Average Power is similar to - but NOT the same as - Garmin's Normalized Power.
Both numbers attempt to capture the average effort of a workout by taking into account lactate accumulation and other types of fatigue. Strava uses an algorithm very similar to xPower for computing Weighted Average Power.   Find out more here. 

There will be differences between the Weighted Average Power and Normalized Power. How much and which direction will depend on the ride. Typically, for shorter rides, Weighted Average Power will be lower than Normalized Power.

This is a result of the different types of smoothing used by the algorithms. Both numbers have been used successfully by professional coaches.

Another thing to keep in mind is that on Strava we do not remove any sections of zero power from your data before we do our calculations.  Whether or not your Garmin power calculations are including sections of zero power depends on your Garmin settings.  You can check the Garmin Support site to find out how to adjust this setting if necessary.

I hope that provides some insight into this.  Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

I get average power on both my phone app as well as the Strava website. On Garmin Connect, I have higher average power numbers as it is weighted average.  Very frustrating that Strava is different and kind of defeats some of their analysis information. 

Hi Jane. I have the same problem. I understand that Strava includes “zeroes” when measuring average power. The settings on my Wahoo Bolt is set to “Do not include zeroes”. 

However, all my friends have their cycling computers set to “not include zeroes” as well, but they get the same average power on Strava and on their cycling computer. 

I also have the same pronlem.
all my friends have their cycling computers set to “not include zeroes” as well, but they get the same average power on Strava and on their cycling computer.