cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KNOWN ISSUE] Fitbit to Strava sync looses GPS track information

ise
Shkhara

Recently I face an issue that my Fitbit activities are not synced correctly. All the data are correct: distance, heartbeat and so on. But the GPS track stops in Strava after 2 km, no matter how long the track is in Fitbit. My last three activities face this issue and it worked before without any issue. 

I have already disconnect the accounts and connects them again, but without any luck.

Do any other Fitbit user face this issue or can give me a hint why this happens? It's annoying because it's start out of the sudden. I have attached screenshots of my last activity.

That's shown in Strava:

1000054827.png

And this in Fitbit:

1000054822.png

Thanks,

Daniel 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Scout
Moderator Moderator

👋 Hello everyone!

Thanks for your patience while we investigated this issue. Our team has found that the map being displayed on Strava is reflective of all the GPS data that was recorded in the file. This may mean that FitBit lost GPS connection and they are using cellular data to fill in the location for the remainder of the activity.

We would recommend that you make sure your device is up to date with the latest firmware and that your FitBit device and app are also updated. If, after recording a new activity, you are still noticing the same issue, please reach out to FitBit support for additional troubleshooting steps. You can contact FitBit support here.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

Marc_
Strava
Strava

Hello All! 

Marc here with another update. Fitbit's team has confirmed with us that they are still working on this issue regarding data/map discrepancies in the activities that they are syncing over to 3rd party connections, like Strava. 
We still do not have an ETA from them about a fix but they have added the issue to their status dashboard last week: https://status.fitbit.com/incidents/D6j3uhKPGKKsJjNoxsp7
You can check there to see if the issue is still ongoing otherwise I will also post a follow-up here in this thread once we get word that the issue has been resolved by Fitbit. 

Thanks for the patience and understanding all! 

View solution in original post

72 REPLIES 72

EsSB
Mt. Kenya

Another one to report this issue unfortunately. All the GPS data is present in the fitbit tcx file; as Dudebro58 says manually exporting this to strava will show the full route. Seems like an issue with the syncing to me.
Thanks

Flourens
Mt. Kenya

I too am experiencing this issue. Pixel watch. Fitbit is fine. Strava map is cut short but everything else seems fine. Even had one activity where no map copied over. Please reach out if I can provide more details!

Thanks for looking into this.

Scout
Moderator Moderator

@Dudebro58@ise@wcarlton, & others...
As @Marc_ noted, you can submit a help ticket and our support team can take a closer look at your activity. Please be sure to include the device & version you are using as well as the FitBit file. 

The Hub is great for general questions and information while our Support team will handle questions that require account access and analyzing personal activities or account data.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

Dudebro58
Shkhara
  • Same problem. If I delete and manually upload it’s fine. 

Disco181
Shkhara

Hi All,

So after experiencing this issue the past few days I resorted to the old IT help desk default response; I shut down my Fitbit, I shut down my phone, then turned on my phone again followed by the Fitbit. This appears to have corrected the issue as full GPS data for my evening ride has successfully turned up in Strava. 

Marc_
Strava
Strava

Hello All, 

I am Marc, and while I am not a moderator I am part of the Strava team and want to provide some additional insight into what might be happening in these affected FitBit activities. 

At no point has Strava been able to use AGPS (assisted GPS) data that uses cellular connections to help pinpoint location. We require the actual recorded latitude and longitude points to generate the map that you see on Strava, while some devices can generate maps and data using only the cellular location that data is not written into the activity files that those platforms (in this case Fitbit) sync to Strava. Unfortunately, if the GPS data is not written into the file we do not have a way to display that missing portion of the map for your activities, and do not have a way to fill in GPS data after a file is uploaded to Strava from these partner applications. 

To further clarify the other question about if Strava is changing the files, Fitbit manages both the recording of the files on their devices/app and the files they are syncing to Strava. Strava does not edit or change the original TCX files that Fitbit syncs to us in any way upon upload to your Strava account, we only display the data that is in those files. 

If you would like for our team to take a closer look at your activity, please submit a support ticket and our support team will be able to assist you.

I am getting the same problem. The metrics shown in Strava for the walk are correct, but the route shown on the map is incomplete. I exported the .tcx file for the walk from the Fitbit app and imported it into plotaroute.com and the route shown there is complete. So it is not a problem with data exported from Fitbit.

Screenshot_20240901-125436.pngScreenshot_20240901-125554.png

Hi Marc, the issue is clearly not solved. Can you please dig further into this?

Marc, this is NOT an AGPS problem. 
Are you in IT? Do you think it’s a coincidence that whenever the GPS data drops out if the integration it’s in the exact same point in the file? 
set up a test environment with a Fitbit and actually look at what is happening instead of speculating or asking us to do your job for you. 

Hello All,

Marc following up again. Thanks to all of you who have reached out to our support team. After additional investigation and testing, we have confirmed that the files that Fitbit is syncing to Strava and other 3rd party apps are missing GPS data in those TCX files when compared to the GPS data in the files that athletes manually exported from Fitbit. We have done some extensive testing this last week and have been able to replicate this issue, and we have reached out to our contacts at Fitbit and they are investigating this further on their end.If you are currently experiencing this issue please reach out to our support team and include the following:
  • a link to your activity
  • a copy of the exported TCX file from Fitbit for that activity
  • your Fitbit User ID

You can find your User ID in the Fitbit app by going to the 'You' tab and tapping your name, and that will take you to the 'About You' page where you can find your user ID at the bottom of that page, you will want to copy or take a screenshot of that ID and provide it when you submit a Strava support ticket.
Thank you all for your patience, when we have an update from Fitbit we will post it in this thread!