cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KNOWN ISSUE] Fitbit to Strava sync looses GPS track information

ise
Shkhara

Recently I face an issue that my Fitbit activities are not synced correctly. All the data are correct: distance, heartbeat and so on. But the GPS track stops in Strava after 2 km, no matter how long the track is in Fitbit. My last three activities face this issue and it worked before without any issue. 

I have already disconnect the accounts and connects them again, but without any luck.

Do any other Fitbit user face this issue or can give me a hint why this happens? It's annoying because it's start out of the sudden. I have attached screenshots of my last activity.

That's shown in Strava:

1000054827.png

And this in Fitbit:

1000054822.png

Thanks,

Daniel 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Scout
Moderator Moderator

👋 Hello everyone!

Thanks for your patience while we investigated this issue. Our team has found that the map being displayed on Strava is reflective of all the GPS data that was recorded in the file. This may mean that FitBit lost GPS connection and they are using cellular data to fill in the location for the remainder of the activity.

We would recommend that you make sure your device is up to date with the latest firmware and that your FitBit device and app are also updated. If, after recording a new activity, you are still noticing the same issue, please reach out to FitBit support for additional troubleshooting steps. You can contact FitBit support here.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

Marc_
Strava
Strava

Hello All! 

Marc here with another update. Fitbit's team has confirmed with us that they are still working on this issue regarding data/map discrepancies in the activities that they are syncing over to 3rd party connections, like Strava. 
We still do not have an ETA from them about a fix but they have added the issue to their status dashboard last week: https://status.fitbit.com/incidents/D6j3uhKPGKKsJjNoxsp7
You can check there to see if the issue is still ongoing otherwise I will also post a follow-up here in this thread once we get word that the issue has been resolved by Fitbit. 

Thanks for the patience and understanding all! 

View solution in original post

72 REPLIES 72

I have exactly the same issue and this is frustrating that it is marked as Solved and just mention go contact another support...
I believe like many other folks here, our Fitbit devices are up to date with the latest firmware and software.
The issue is clearly either on Strava side or something changed from Fitbit and the integration needs to be reviewed. Please take a look at his and keep us informed of the progress of the resolution. Thanks

I have exactly the same issue which only started recently.

This is an incorrect analysis. All the GPS data IS in the Fitbit file. It has happened to me six or seven times in the last week. Each time, deleting the synced Strava activity, exporting the Fitbit tcx and manually loading it via the Strava website, solved the issue.  So… look at your sync again. Something is corrupting or truncating the file during the sync process.  

can you give some directions for how to do this? thanks very much!

If you mean how to manually fix:

1) delete bad activity from Strava. You can’t load the good one until the bad one is gone.

2) go to Fitbit app. Locate your activity (bike) open up. There is a menu in the upper right I think (…) that has the option to export as TCX. Pick that. Save to Files (or a place you can remember how to get to [iCloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.])
3) Strava won’t let you load a tcx from the app (LAME!) but it will let you load from the browser website. So open chrome or safari or whatever and go to www.strava.com. Login and then from the “hamburger” (three horizontal lines) scroll down til you see Upload activity. 
4. the font is teeny but you want to pick file, then pick the file you exported from Fitbit (should be in files if on iOS). Then scroll down and find the save and view menu. 

Should appear in the app now and you can edit the name etc. 

I'm having to do exactly the same. Couldn't agree more with what you've said 👍🏻

I have same issue. Fitbit data is perfect, but GPS data automatically uploaded to Strava is incorrect.
Interesting thing is that automatic sync went well yesterday but it went wron today.

I agree with other users. My Fitbit app shows my entire route/GPS data whilst Strava does not ergo my tracker is recording GPS data and transferring it correctly to the Fitbit app but not Strava. It's therefore more likely an issue with Strava importing the GPS data.

I think that assessment is incorrect. The posts here show the fitness tracker is recording the information correctly but it is not being transferred to Strava in full. I can send data from two bike rides to back this up. It's clearly not loss of GPS that's causing the issue. Sorry.

Sorry, but that's not true. If I export the tcx file from Fitbit manually everything is alright and all GPS points are correct. I can display it in any other track viewer.

If I download the tcx file from Strava, about after 1.6km all GPS points have the same coordinates, but different heartbeat values and distance. So, it's not a problem on the Fitbit side. At least not on the source tcx file. I don't know what happen during Fitbit Strava sync with the file. 

If I import the file manually into Strava everything is fine and the track is displayed correctly.

So it's definitely not a solution what you have posted.