cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Activity When I Go To Record

iiszach
Mt. Kenya

Greetings! It is not easy to find where to post or where to get help. Hopefully someone has some guidance. I use Strava for cycling probably 95% of the time but one time I went hiking about 3 months ago and decided to record it. 

Now whenever I open the app to record it starts with hiking and no matter how many times I switch it to biking it never stays there on subsequent rides. Any ideas? Fixes? 

Thanks! Also a direct contact to Strava would be nice too. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Bryant
Moderator Moderator

Hey @iiszach,
Sorry that you're having trouble with your Default Activities.
Have you tried adjusting the setting within your Profile Settings?
If not, head to your Profile Settings and select Display Preferences. Once there you will see the option Default Sport.
From Default Sport you will be able to select Cycling or Running.

I hope this helps!

KBryant24
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

The only thing that worked for me was deleting the app and reinstalling it. Immediately, it defaulted to Run, as I had set it to. Worked a treat.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

rjsdotorg
Shkhara

I tried the suggestions again, and only a delete/reinstall worked.

Also odd that the web only shows ["cycling", "running"] as Default sport Clipboard01.jpgoptions.

Velocipede
Mt. Kenya

Mine is stuck on gravel ride. My profile default is "cycle". Deleting and reinstalling the phone app did not help. 

ldk2023
Mt. Kenya

I had the same problem, but found a different fix:

I set the Default Activity in Settings > Display Preferences IN MY ONLINE ACCOUNT at Strava.com (that setting does not appear anywhere on my phone app)

Then I logged in from my phone using the same account and the default activity preference was set properly.

Silly, but worked and maybe a bit more satisfying than deleting and reinstalling the phone app.

Thanks, this fixed it, log out of app then in again after changing default activity on the website settings

This did work - one has to remember to log out of the app and log back in.

The preference is apparently only loaded at login (not pushed/checked) which is why reinstalling works as well of course.

kc
Mt. Kenya

Dear Bryant, the default does show as the correct activity in my profile preference settings; it just won't actually default to that activity when using the app (my preferred activity is cycling; at some point the app switched to walking and I can't get the app to switch the default activity back to cycling - been trying for over a year). Super annoying that I have to manually change which activity every time I go to record. I guess I have to delete the app and reinstall it, per Grasshopper's tip, but please understand that your fix does not address the problem.

ScocoCyclo
Mt. Kenya

I did an e-Mountain Bike trial day 6 months ago and whenever I go to record it defaults my activity to e-Mountain Bike Ride.

I ride a road bike, walk, or run, and the profile settings Bryant refers to has "Running" and "Cycling" as the only options. 

I want my default activity to either be the last one I recorded or "Ride". E-Mountain Bike isn't even in the list of my top activities, so why does it appear as the default every time?

I have an iPhone 12, latest version of Strava (15 Feb 2023 update)

Cyclopscott
Mt. Kenya

It does not help.  I have had the same issue for about the same amount of time.  My default sport has never changed from cycling and is still listed that way.

Bryant
Moderator Moderator

Hey @iiszach,
Sorry that you're having trouble with your Default Activities.
Have you tried adjusting the setting within your Profile Settings?
If not, head to your Profile Settings and select Display Preferences. Once there you will see the option Default Sport.
From Default Sport you will be able to select Cycling or Running.

I hope this helps!

KBryant24
STRAVA | Community Hub Team