cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New problems in route creation

dantsai
Pico de Orizaba

It appears there have been some recent changes in routing that have started causing problems for me.

Here's one example:

https://www.strava.com/routes/3094852996270569588

You can see that instead of simply going straight at the light and crossing the road, Strava's route turns right at Olympic, then makes an illegal U turn across two lanes of traffic. Totally bizarre.

Can someone at Strava take a look? Thanks

30 REPLIES 30

BikeSandy
Shkhara

@dantsai 

I have the same/similar issue - automatic routing is making silly choices. But, I've just tried something that worked for me. Earlier I'd selected "Gravel ride" and/or "Prefer dirt surfaces". With either of these selected the route builder misbehaved. So long as I selected "Ride" and "Any surface type" the route builder behaved as it has done in the past.

nicky
Strava
Strava

Hey @dantsai! Thanks for the feedback here. Really appreciate you taking the time to write this up! We are working on a few features that should help resolve these issues:

• We are adding the ability to "pull" on the polyline to add new manual waypoints 
  • And we'll allow you to convert any waypoint to manual mode by right clicking them. 

these changes should ship in late July. We'll let you know when they've launched! Thanks again. Excited to keep making changes to improve your routes experience!

Hi Nicky

I have the same problem that dantsai reported. The recent changes have totally ruined route creation in Strava for me. In all sincerity, the ability to create routes is the only reason I have maintained my Strava subscription. Until recently it worked almost perfectly, but now it is a total pain in the neck to use.

Sandy

There's one more thing. If I load up an existing route to make a minor edit, the route is automatically updated and re-routed based upon the route type preference. This completely destroys the route making it unusable. It makes no sense that the Strava route builder does not respect the existing route specifications.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @dantsai 

Thanks for posting about this.

1. Try using manual mode
Enable Manual mode to add a waypoint anywhere on the map. There are a few things to be aware of when using this mode:

• Manual mode will no longer ensure your route's path follows roads or trails.
  • Popularity and elevation selectors will be disabled.
  • Distance and elevation can only be roughly estimated for manual edits.

2. Help Improve Strava's Maps
Strava utilizes OpenStreetMap, an open-source project of geographical data for the entire world, alongside our own heat/popularity and other unique data, to help inform routing decisions. If you are experiencing a routing error, you can help the Strava community by contributing the edit to OpenStreetMap.
Please visit our support article for instructions for more information.

Thanks again for posting and let us know if you have additional questions.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

hi Jane,

the main reason why I bought Strava premium is to create my own off trail manual routes. however if I exceed a certain number of waypoints, the SAVE ROUTE button becomes inactive and I cant save and export my GPX.

Please advise a workaround?

Best rgds,

Andrew

Hey @dru_milne - Thanks for writing in to report this. Really appreciate it! The tool should allow you to insert unlimited waypoints but occasionally bugs can be found when adding a large number of waypoints very quickly. We're working on a fix, but just wanted to confirm, is it possible that you were adding waypoints very fast (a lot of clicks per second?) Thanks again - should be able to fix this one shortly!

Hi Nicky, I specifically went slowly with the clicks and only clicked the next point once the previous one had logged. 

Hey @dru_milne we believe we've fixed this bug. Can you try again? There was a backend error, but it is fixed in our tests. Let me know what you find! Thanks much.

Manual mode is not working ok for me.

I can add manual waypoints at the end of the route as you can see in the last three waypoints on the pic.

RicardoGE_0-1686310603997.png

But I can't add manual waypoints in the middle of an already existing route.

RicardoGE_1-1686310944354.png

If I wish to edit a piece of the route I mark two waypoints at the begining and the end of the segment I want to edit (points 31 & 33 on the pic). Then, I activate manual mode and create a new waypoint in the middle  of the already existing segment (point 32).  When I try to move the new waypoint to another place, it always returns to the pre-existent segment and I'm unable to draw the manual segment that I wish.

I have not used Strava to modify any route in the past, so I don't know if this is a problem that has always been there or if it is something that happened with recent changes.

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings