cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Strava Post with Additional Activity Data

Greyfox47
Shkhara

I use a Concept 2 rower and a Garmin Vivoactive 4 to record my rowing activities. The watch doesn't record distance. When the rowing activity is complete, it is recorded on Garmin Connect and pushed to Strava. Using the data on the Concept PM3, I modify Garmin Connect to include the virtual distance of the row. But, I don't see anyway to edit the Strava activity to include the virtual distance? Am I missing something and if so, how do I either manually add distance or get it to pull from Garmin Connect the edit activity? Or is there another way around the issue, like not automatically pushing the activity from Connect as soon as I save it at time of activity completion?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Greyfox47 

Thanks for posting about this.  You're not missing anything, there isn't a way to add distance to recorded activities on Strava, and the edited distance on the Garmin Connect version of the activity is not included in the file synced to Strava from Garmin.  

Have you checked to see if you can upload your Concept2 data directly to Strava?  This is supported on some rowers through their use of the Strava API.  Check out information on their website here

If that's possible with your rower, you could then investigate if your Garmin watch could be paired to your Concept2 as a heart rate monitor.  That setup would enable you to push your Concept2 recorded data to Strava and it would include both distance and heart rate.

If the above isn't possible with your rower, you can always add the activity manually on Strava, including the correct distance and add a perceived exertion score which is used instead of heart rate data to calculate your relative effort. 

We have an existing feature suggestion about combining multiple streams of recorded data into one activity.  If that's something you're interested in, we'd welcome your comments and kudos.

You might also be interested in checking out this feature suggestion on the ability to edit recorded activities.  

I hope that's helpful, let us know if you have more questions.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

nradov
Pico de Orizaba

I would recommend upgrading your Concept2 rower with a new PM5 monitor. Then you can connect the PM5 to the ErgData mobile app via BlueTooth and it will automatically sync activities to both Strava and Garmin Connect. You don't need to record the activity at all on your Garmin watch, although you can use it as a heart rate monitor to broadcast to the PM5 via ANT+ if you don't have a heart rate strap.

https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/performance-monitors/retrofitting-pm5

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

nradov
Pico de Orizaba

I would recommend upgrading your Concept2 rower with a new PM5 monitor. Then you can connect the PM5 to the ErgData mobile app via BlueTooth and it will automatically sync activities to both Strava and Garmin Connect. You don't need to record the activity at all on your Garmin watch, although you can use it as a heart rate monitor to broadcast to the PM5 via ANT+ if you don't have a heart rate strap.

https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/performance-monitors/retrofitting-pm5

Thanks nradov…. Yes, upgrading to the PM5 is exactly what I recently did. Makes life a whole lot easier. I “do” have a Garmin chest HRM but have used the Garmin watch, as well. It’s no where as accurate as the watch, however. 
All the best, TL

Greyfox47
Shkhara

Thanks, Jane. The Concept2 PM5 monitor is capable of Bluetooth pairing. However, and alas, mine is a PM3 and doesn't support any kind of pairing. Even the chest heart monitor strap uses a wireless connection to a Polar (?) like sensor and hardwired to the PM3. I have also tried methods offered by Concept2 and on YouTube videos of saving the Garmin file to my desktop and uploading it to Strava. Unfortunately, Strava will not accept the file since the file doesn't reflect GPS movement. Inserting it as a manual activity is fine but much of the analysis data is not reflected in the upload. The only solution appears to be replacement of the PM3 by a PM5. Thanks for the assistance. Your reply confirms my worse suspicions. It's a shame Strava doesn't allow for editting of metrics, but I understand why. 

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hello @Greyfox47 

Thanks for posting about this.  You're not missing anything, there isn't a way to add distance to recorded activities on Strava, and the edited distance on the Garmin Connect version of the activity is not included in the file synced to Strava from Garmin.  

Have you checked to see if you can upload your Concept2 data directly to Strava?  This is supported on some rowers through their use of the Strava API.  Check out information on their website here

If that's possible with your rower, you could then investigate if your Garmin watch could be paired to your Concept2 as a heart rate monitor.  That setup would enable you to push your Concept2 recorded data to Strava and it would include both distance and heart rate.

If the above isn't possible with your rower, you can always add the activity manually on Strava, including the correct distance and add a perceived exertion score which is used instead of heart rate data to calculate your relative effort. 

We have an existing feature suggestion about combining multiple streams of recorded data into one activity.  If that's something you're interested in, we'd welcome your comments and kudos.

You might also be interested in checking out this feature suggestion on the ability to edit recorded activities.  

I hope that's helpful, let us know if you have more questions.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team