cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default activity always set to Gravel Ride. It bugs.

surfoxy
Shkhara

Hi, I've never ridden a gravel bike in my life. I was on a MOUNTAIN BIKE ride today, and yet again, for the like 100th time, my mountain bike ride was labeled a gravel ride. Is there not some way to set the default ride as a mountain bike ride? Everyone I rode with has mountain bike for the same ride. I've looked all over the web and can't find a way to fix this. Clearly not the end of the world, also starting to get annoying. 

I don't get it. This started happening months ago -I don't own gravel bikes, and while some of the terrain I ride is also suitable for gravel, there's no way a system could look at my activity and think this was my default. Thanks for any help. Would love to never see this again. Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The Strava App should default to the last sport you selected. For example, if you go to the App Record screen and select the hike icon to record a hike, that default will save until you change it again.

If this is not the behavior you're seeing on your App, please ensure your App is updated to the latest version available.

Regarding "Mont Blanc" displaying under your Community Hub username -- this is due to our Community member ranks

Every athlete in the community has a rank based on their contributions and ranks are named after prominent peaks of the world. Therefore, this doesn't mark your physical location, but the rank you currently hold in the Community Hub. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RikZoons
Mt. Kenya

Ik merkte dat in mijn activiteitenprofiel (op mijn Garmin Edge 1030 ) bij mijn 'wielrennersprofiel' het standaardrittype was verandering van "wielrennen" naar "gravel rit". Dit is waarschijnlijk gebeurd na de laatste update van de gps. Ik heb namelijk nooit een grindfiets gehad en de instelling "standaardrittype" stond al jaren op "wielrennen". Succes

Velocipede
Mt. Kenya

I have this same problem. However, I have realized it originates with Garmin, not Strava. Still don't know how to fix, tho...

@Velocipede - It is probably set by your ride profile in your garmin device.  If it is something like a Garmin Edge, select "settings", then select "activity profiles" and then the profile your are using (probably just a default like train, race, etc....  Once there, you should see an option for "default ride type".  You should be able to select whatever you want to have as your default from there.  You can also create a new "activity profile" with different options if you go back and forth between different types of riding so you just have to select the activity profile from the start screen and the default will be set.

surfoxy
Shkhara

That's the answer, thanks! And on Mt. Blanc. Got it. 

Soren
Denali

Hey there, thanks for the question. Do you record your rides with the Strava mobile app or do you use a different device (like a cycling computer)? 
If you're using the mobile app, you can change the Sport type of an activity on the mobile app prior to recording, with these instructions: Tap the 'Record' icon to initiate the GPS of your mobile device. Tap the 'Sport' icon which is the second icon from the left and select "Mountain Bike Ride".
When you have an external device to track your workouts (Ex. Garmin Vivosmart, Polar), make sure to check the device's settings to see what it defaults to for the Activity Type, once we receive the data when it's synced we don't change it to something else, unless it's not a supported Sport Type on Strava, in which case we reflect it as "Workout". I hope this helps answer your question!

Ya, good question thanks Soren, as I noticed my Garmin records the same rides as MTB but then I realized that I have to pick the sport before recording. It's on the iPhone. Thanks for the pre-ride tip, but I guess what I'm wondering is why I'm getting gravel ride and everyone else isn't. It used to just work. It's setting Gravel Ride as the default now, it used to be MTB every time I started recording. 

Maybe y'all are over-indexing on the new fad sport in the calculations? Worth a question to the dev team I think. 

Also while I have ya, why does my profile say "Mont Blanc? and why can't I edit it? Very odd. I'm in California, not the Haute Savoie...

The Strava App should default to the last sport you selected. For example, if you go to the App Record screen and select the hike icon to record a hike, that default will save until you change it again.

If this is not the behavior you're seeing on your App, please ensure your App is updated to the latest version available.

Regarding "Mont Blanc" displaying under your Community Hub username -- this is due to our Community member ranks

Every athlete in the community has a rank based on their contributions and ranks are named after prominent peaks of the world. Therefore, this doesn't mark your physical location, but the rank you currently hold in the Community Hub.