cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This post has been escalated to our Support team for one of the following reasons: it requires sharing personal information, the intervention of an admin, or multiple exchanges. We may also escalate to our Support team if a topic is highly complex or technical.

Incorrect Timestamps for Photos Uploaded via Website

zecanard
Kilimanjaro

In the Strava app (for iOS, at least), tapping on a photo from the Home Feed or from inside an activity opens a dedicated Photos View that you can scroll through vertically. In that view, every photo shows the time it was taken right below it. The problem is Strava reads the wrong metadata field for this timestamp.

I do some quick, light editing on my photos before exporting them to my desktop, then uploading them to Strava. As a result, every photo I take during my hikes gets uploaded with a timestamp around 11 p.m. or midnight on Strava.

It looks to me like Strava reads the File Modification Date/Time field, rather than Create Date, or Date/Time Original, or even Modify Date, all three of which are usually identical (and all three of which are available in my exported/uploaded photos). So Strava needs to change the priority of the fields it reads as the timestamp.

As far as I can tell, photos uploaded from the app show the correct timestamp, even if they were edited prior to upload.

Here’s what I’m talking about 👇🏼 Do note that the bottom photo is unedited, yet it’s still stamped with the time I exported it to my desktop:

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 17.10.52.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Scout
Moderator Moderator

@zecanard

Thanks for your post and sorry for the delay. We're going to send this over to our Support team so they can gather additional info and work on this. If you have a similar question please submit a support ticket and we will investigate further.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Scout
Moderator Moderator

@zecanard

Thanks for your post and sorry for the delay. We're going to send this over to our Support team so they can gather additional info and work on this. If you have a similar question please submit a support ticket and we will investigate further.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)

Thanks for the follow-up, @Scout. A recent Strava beta (circa 323.0.0.39210?) seems to have replaced the vertically scrolling view on white background I screenshotted above with a horizontally scrolling view on a black background, with timestamps removed entirely.

This is one of 2 useful, but broken, features I’ve seen removed from recent beta builds, instead of getting them fixed 🫤

Hey @zecanard, I'll add this info to your support ticket. Thanks for the additional details!

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)

Ready, Get Set, Go!

Welcome to the Community - here is your guide to help you get started!

Know how to use Community

Understand Community Settings