cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

random route generation for a selected distance

BartVW
Mt. Kenya

Hello,
before the latest "update" in the android app, there was a posibility to generate a random route based on length, surface, elevation beginning at your current location.
Now you get routes chosen from public availlable routes made by strava users.

I used the "old" way very often to discover new routes, but now this is no longer possible.

Why was this changed? 
Can an option be provided to choose whether you want to use the routes publicly available from other users or let strava generate one for you ?

very disapointed in the new routes "generation" in maps at the moment, the old one was much beter 

regards,
Bart

2 REPLIES 2

R_g_2020
Mt. Kenya

Agreed, the routes function as it was was the reason I paid for Strava. If it stays as it currently is at the end of my subscription period, there's no reason to keep it. I used to be able to plug in the distance I wanted to do and know that Strava would find something for me. Now there seem to be just a handful of short routes available, none in line with what I want. This feels like a major step backwards.

neromedici
Mt. Kenya

Bart - I wanted to second you here and adding additional commentary here in hopes the Strava Development Team will address.

I am not a fan of the recent changes and disappointed with the functionality of the new Strava Route features.  It has complicated what was a simple and beautifully designed route finding and building tool.  I have done much research to undo the recent April 2024 update to Strava route generation to no avail as well.  I'm surprised this was rolled out without an option to keep the original route making design that has worked beautifully for at least 10 years that I have been a user.   

I have used Strava all over the world to find new random routes to run, bike or hike based on my exact location and route criteria.  I find the prior version superior in every way with its simplicity of design and usefulness for route finding.  Please fix or provide an option to use the Strava route building functionality as was previously designed.  I'm not opposed to change if it truly provides a better user experience, but in this instance, Strava missed the mark. 

Best Regards,

Rob