cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava segment moderation

FelTTie
Mt. Kenya

Why there is no moderation possibility for segment creator in strava? If you create a segment, for example you create segment from your roadbike ride, and you want all efforts to be done with solo roadbike rides, soon it will be full of TT bike efforts, group ride efforts or E-bike/or other suspicious efforts..

I think it would not be impossible to add few buttons while creating  a segment these days. (roadbike only or TT bike only or gravel bike only, also mandatory power/hr data ect. selection would be nice to have)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think it is practical or realistic for this platform.  You have to realize there is absolutely no way that Strava can accurately determine if someone is riding in a "group ride" or solo.  Who's to say they didn't break away from the group they were riding with to earn a KOM solo?  I've done a lot of rides in the past where Strava indicated that I was "riding with" other people who I never saw along the ride at all, but just happened to follow a similar path for some part.  Even in races, it is easy to be within seconds of others, yet never gaining benefits from the group.  As far as specific bikes, you have to realize that most people don't bother to indicate what bike they are using in a given ride, so your data would be corrupted from the start.  Even those who do, often forget to update their activities from time to time.  I just don't see how you could get a reliable data set for the kind of breakdown you are looking for within this system.  E-bikes are already separated, so that is a different subject.

View solution in original post

I have only one bike, but two power meters 😂. I appreciate what you're saying, especially as I ride mostly in Indonesia where power meters are definitely a luxury. But still it is very rare for someone that is competing for a segment leader board position or KOM to not have a power meter. So I would suggest if you want to be on the leader board you need to supply data to verify your time. At the very least segments that are fairly well contested should have this feature. Or anyone has the option to include it when creating a segment

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

@gcurwin - We will probably have to agree to disagree on this one.  Knowing how many people I know who compete regularly for KOMs and don't bother with either power meters or heart rate monitors or both, requiring them would be a bad move and would alienate a lot of paying members from probably the top reason for a paid membership, segment leaderboards.  Add in the fact that anyone using the strava app to track their activity has no way to include those other forms of data anyway.  I seriously doubt strava would implement a requirement that their own recording software is not able to comply with.