cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava should enable gift subscriptions again

ron_anejo
Mt. Kenya

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001685450-Gifting-a-Subscription states:

"For the time being, we have removed the option to gift a subscription to an athlete. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience."

This seems to be a really bad idea. I was just looking up how to give a gift subscription. If it isn't possible, I'll be spending my Christmas gift money elsewhere.

Strava should consider enabling gift subscriptions again and stop throwing income away.

47 REPLIES 47

I was just hoping to buy a year-long gift subscription for someone. Dang! I really hope the option becomes available again in the future. 

?

Hi @Soren , is there any update on this? I gifted a subscription to someone last year and was planning to do the same again this year. A prompt resolution would be appreciated as their last one has now expired and they will be without a subscription until this feature is back!

Hey there, we unfortunately aren't bringing gifting back this year, it's on the back burner for now. I will resurface this with our product team and let them know about the interest you've all expressed!

Seems like an odd way to do business, so am guessing something else is going on. It is unfortunate you have made this business decision, as it means I can't renew my daughter's annual birthday present (and she won't buy it for herself), and I will let my own subscription lapse when it runs its term. The freebie version is good enough for my daughter and me to stay connected.  Guess that means you lose two subscriptions?

Why not buy her an Apple or Google Play Gift Card that can be used for Strava? 😊

Could absolutely do this, and I could also Venmo or Paypal her money, give her my credit card number, or give her a gift card from Visa for the amount so she could renew the subscription herself. The whole point of a gift subscription is the receiver has to do virtually nothing and it is obvious the gifter's intent: a subscription to Strava, a running app. Just seems more thoughtful to make it direct, and I am clueless as to why Strava wouldn't do this.  Ah well.

I posted the likely reason in another comment on this post - Google and Apple probably restrict them from being able to offer direct gift cards, as it bypasses their usual 20% commission.

Just want to continue to echo other statements of frustration.  So frustrated with Strava ever since nce you all started mucking up the payment system.  Raising prices, ok has to happen, but the manner in which Strava has managed to bungle the pricing increase and eliminate the gift subscription is very disappointing. 

Looks like Strava want to lose some paid users or want to force people to self-renewing subscriptions model... Well... I can live without this gift. Friend will not make me this gift in this year and probably never again because gifts will not back. Your lose.