cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am getting old and want to reset my PRs

jeanlucpz
Shkhara

Hi,

Let's face the facts: I am getting older. This year has been a very tough year seeing me going thru a rough patch. So bad I had to hang up my bike for months not knowing when I'll be back on wheels, and even if I'd be able to do so. 

Anyways now I am back but when I am seeing my PRs, I know for a fact I will never be able to better them. 

Is there a way to reset all my PRs on all segments? Ideally choosing a date, say "forget all PRs set before December 1st, 2022". I read people saying to just create a new account, well it is a bit extreme because I still want to keep the statistics for distances I rode. 

15 REPLIES 15

As we age our maximum heartrate invariably decreases.  The formula is (220 - Age in years). Although regular exercise can keep our max heartrate above average, it is still going to decline. At 61, your theoretical max is 159. With a lot of training, yours may be say, 170. Someone who is 72 has a theoretical max of 148.  He would go anaerobic at about 126,  A maximum sustainable HR of 126 will seriously impair your ability to set new PRs.

The 220-age formula is worthless. I'm 61 and my Max HR is 185. I did a 2 hour race a few months ago and was able to hold a sustained effort at 160 for the entire time. 

Thought about you Chris yesterday when I was struggling to try to keep up a decent rhythm. Ended up about 12 minutes above my 45 minutes PR on that particular segment. 

I spent 3 years dealing with some pretty serious health issues between 2019 and 2021. I rode quite a bit during these years, but I was not able to push myself as hard as I wanted to. I finally managed to get myself healthy again in 2022, and I've had one of my best years ever on the bike. I did a lot of racing this year, and beat a whole bunch of guys half my age. Keep pushing yourself!

Back in October 2022, I wrote you "But if I ever will break one I'll let you know". Well, here I am, at the beginning of this year I smashed a couple of PRs that I never thought I would be able to do. A small miracle. Those were on flat roads, on climbs no way, I am definitely not able but I never was a climber. 

Good on you, Chris, but as far as I am concerned let's say that this year I had medical issues that are making beating old PRs look like a miracle. 

But if I ever will break one I'll let you know. 😀