cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am getting old and want to reset my PRs

jeanlucpz
Shkhara

Hi,

Let's face the facts: I am getting older. This year has been a very tough year seeing me going thru a rough patch. So bad I had to hang up my bike for months not knowing when I'll be back on wheels, and even if I'd be able to do so. 

Anyways now I am back but when I am seeing my PRs, I know for a fact I will never be able to better them. 

Is there a way to reset all my PRs on all segments? Ideally choosing a date, say "forget all PRs set before December 1st, 2022". I read people saying to just create a new account, well it is a bit extreme because I still want to keep the statistics for distances I rode. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pamungkas5
Mt. Kenya

I'm agree with you, I want to view my PR on a specific year, not my entire life. Also, when I compare with my friend, I want to compare our performance on the same year, not on our best performance for say the last 10 years.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

As we age our maximum heartrate invariably decreases.  The formula is (220 - Age in years). Although regular exercise can keep our max heartrate above average, it is still going to decline. At 61, your theoretical max is 159. With a lot of training, yours may be say, 170. Someone who is 72 has a theoretical max of 148.  He would go anaerobic at about 126,  A maximum sustainable HR of 126 will seriously impair your ability to set new PRs.

The 220-age formula is worthless. I'm 61 and my Max HR is 185. I did a 2 hour race a few months ago and was able to hold a sustained effort at 160 for the entire time. 

Thought about you Chris yesterday when I was struggling to try to keep up a decent rhythm. Ended up about 12 minutes above my 45 minutes PR on that particular segment. 

I spent 3 years dealing with some pretty serious health issues between 2019 and 2021. I rode quite a bit during these years, but I was not able to push myself as hard as I wanted to. I finally managed to get myself healthy again in 2022, and I've had one of my best years ever on the bike. I did a lot of racing this year, and beat a whole bunch of guys half my age. Keep pushing yourself!

Good on you, Chris, but as far as I am concerned let's say that this year I had medical issues that are making beating old PRs look like a miracle. 

But if I ever will break one I'll let you know. 😀