cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KNOWN ISSUE] Fitbit to Strava sync looses GPS track information

ise
Shkhara

Recently I face an issue that my Fitbit activities are not synced correctly. All the data are correct: distance, heartbeat and so on. But the GPS track stops in Strava after 2 km, no matter how long the track is in Fitbit. My last three activities face this issue and it worked before without any issue. 

I have already disconnect the accounts and connects them again, but without any luck.

Do any other Fitbit user face this issue or can give me a hint why this happens? It's annoying because it's start out of the sudden. I have attached screenshots of my last activity.

That's shown in Strava:

1000054827.png

And this in Fitbit:

1000054822.png

Thanks,

Daniel 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Scout
Moderator Moderator

👋 Hello everyone!

Thanks for your patience while we investigated this issue. Our team has found that the map being displayed on Strava is reflective of all the GPS data that was recorded in the file. This may mean that FitBit lost GPS connection and they are using cellular data to fill in the location for the remainder of the activity.

We would recommend that you make sure your device is up to date with the latest firmware and that your FitBit device and app are also updated. If, after recording a new activity, you are still noticing the same issue, please reach out to FitBit support for additional troubleshooting steps. You can contact FitBit support here.

Cheers,
Scout (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

Marc_
Strava
Strava

Hello All, 

I am Marc, and while I am not a moderator I am part of the Strava team and want to provide some additional insight into what might be happening in these affected FitBit activities. 

At no point has Strava been able to use AGPS (assisted GPS) data that uses cellular connections to help pinpoint location. We require the actual recorded latitude and longitude points to generate the map that you see on Strava, while some devices can generate maps and data using only the cellular location that data is not written into the activity files that those platforms (in this case Fitbit) sync to Strava. Unfortunately, if the GPS data is not written into the file we do not have a way to display that missing portion of the map for your activities, and do not have a way to fill in GPS data after a file is uploaded to Strava from these partner applications. 

To further clarify the other question about if Strava is changing the files, Fitbit manages both the recording of the files on their devices/app and the files they are syncing to Strava. Strava does not edit or change the original TCX files that Fitbit syncs to us in any way upon upload to your Strava account, we only display the data that is in those files. 

If you would like for our team to take a closer look at your activity, please submit a support ticket and our support team will be able to assist you.

View solution in original post

71 REPLIES 71

Luggag3
Mt. Kenya

It happened to me again this week but this time I actually looked at the incorrect map a bit more closely. The erroneous map was from a run I did with a running club. They have mixed ability and tend to stop and take occasional breaks. My watch is set to auto pause. The place that the map stops is one of these break points. The watch asked if I had wanted to end the run there, I said no and it kept recording but I wonder if this is part of the problem. The map is wrong in Strava but again the tcx contains correct data. For some reason Strava seems to end the GPS tracking there. I am guessing it stops looking at the GPS after a period of inactivity. Does this correlate with anyone else's experience too?

Bookopoulos
Mt. Kenya

I'm getting the same problem. Started this summer. 

Luggag3
Mt. Kenya

Same issue here from pixel watch. Can re upload to get full map but it doesn't show when syncing from Fitbit app. Dont make the same mistake as me, if you ask Strava to fix the distance it doesn't fix the map and shortens the distance. Predictable, but thought I should check! It may be a coincidence but seems to have started about the time I subscribed to Strava. 

stravagui
Mt. Kenya

I compared 1 successful run and 1 not successful run by exporting the tcx file from the Fitbit app and there is no difference in the file format or data type. The issue is clearly the synchronisation!

Temporary fix I found is to export the tcx file from the Fitbit activity, uploading it to Strava entering a manual activity after deleting the original one and voilà.

SimonH
Mt. Kenya

I also have been having the same issue but it doesn't happen every time - only sometimes whilst walking. The first day I noticed it happening was 19th July.

I end up deleting the activity on Strava and re-sync it using https://www.fittostrava.com/

It comes up perfectly after this. 

Ils1
Shkhara

Hi! I have exactly the same problem since a few weeks. All information is in the fitbit app, but strava syncs everything except for the gps info.

I have a fitbit charge 5. Are there any updates on this already?

JRose
Mt. Kenya

I'm a bit late to this thread but I want to say I am having issues with my Fitbit versa 4 data pulling through incorrectly. 

For the past 7 activities it's undercut my milage but roughly a mile. GPS single not lost at all, map has pulled through but milage, pace, heart rate all wrong. I have reached out to support however they are saying it's a loss of GPS and to do upload the TCX file. Tried this, shows that GPS wasn't lost, yet still being undercut. Not really sure what to do as this happened to me before, I found not hiding my start and end points helped, but it's gone back to incorrectly pulling through. Still awaiting an answer from support. Has any one had this issue resolved?

alisonn_clarkk
Mt. Kenya

I've just had the exact same issue today. My run 3 days ago was fine and as were all previous. I've followed this same route multiple times with no issue so I don't think the GPS is the problem. Hopefully sorted soon 🤞🏻

JanieF
Mt. Kenya

I found exporting the file from Fitbit, deleting the activity on Strava and then uploading that activity file successfully restored the full map and all the data.