cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Privacy Settings by Activity Type

trudell387
Mt. Kenya

Is there anyway to change privacy settings by activity type? Or Alternatively stop my garmin watch from uploading certain activity types to Strava? 

I would like certain activities i.e weight training to be private while other activities (mountain biking, hiking) i would like to be visable on my profile.

I lift ~ 5 days a week and don't want to clog up my / followers feeds with weight training activities, but do appreciate the tracking info on the Garmin app... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @trudell387 

Thanks for posting about this.  It's not possible to set a default privacy setting for activities, based on activity type.  A workaround you could consider would be to change your default settings so all activities sync into your account visible only to you.  You can then edit the visibility settings of only the ones you want to share with others.

We encourage all Strava Athletes to revisit their privacy controls to ensure ensure their selections in Strava represent their intended experience.

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Tpduke112
Mt. Kenya

Is enable for this in the works? It would be very helpful to hide activities by type. 

zecanard
Kilimanjaro

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @trudell387 

Thanks for posting about this.  It's not possible to set a default privacy setting for activities, based on activity type.  A workaround you could consider would be to change your default settings so all activities sync into your account visible only to you.  You can then edit the visibility settings of only the ones you want to share with others.

We encourage all Strava Athletes to revisit their privacy controls to ensure ensure their selections in Strava represent their intended experience.

Jane (she/her)

I have done this but just realised these activities show on my profile page to followers,  I don't want this to happen. My followers should only be able to see activities on my profile page that are set to everyone or followers. I do not want followers to see my weights etc which is why I chose "only you" Followers being able to see I have done these activites (even though they cant see detail) makes a mockery of the "only you" setting.

Hi @BBGlebe 

Thank for mentioning this.  Activities that are set to "only you" will not be visible to anyone (including your Followers) on your profile page.  If that seems to be happening, could you double check those activities and ensure they are set to "only you".  

If you would like someone to take a closer look at your account and troubleshoot directly with you, please submit a support ticket and we will be in touch.

Jane (she/her)

Very unfortunate. Activity type-dependent privacy setting would be a very useful feature!