cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90 days data sync from Garmin? turn it off or not use strava for 90 days?

geoker55
Mt. Kenya

Hi, I now have 2 x Garmin devices (1040 and a Fenix) but every ride I have ever done is all tracked via Strava on my iPhone. The 1040 also tracks the rides within Garmin connect separately, but they stay in Garmin world.

I can see that I can link Garmin Connect and Strava together, however, it says it will sync the last 90 days of activities, but the last 90 days of activities are already on Strava, so will it double up on all the activities, or do I need to not use Strava for 90 days to make a clean switch to the Garmin devices as activity trackers?

If I have to stop using Strava for 90 days, can I get 90 days added to my yearly paid subscription?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @geoker55 

Thanks for posting about this and good news - you don't have to stop using Strava for 90 days.

Go ahead and link your Garmin and Strava accounts.  Once you do that, your previous 90 days worth of Garmin activities will attempt to sync to Strava.  There's 2 things than might happen:

1.  Our system attempts to detect duplicate activities upon upload, and if a duplicate is detected we don't sync it to your account.  If the start times of the activities are within seven seconds of each other, the duplicate upload will be rejected.

2. Scenario two is that at least some of your 90 activity history will not meet the 7 second rule described above, and those will sync to your account, resulting in duplicate activities.  If that happens, please submit a support ticket and Strava Support will be able to use a bulk delete tool to quickly remove those duplicates from your account.

I hope that's helpful; drop us a reply and let us know if how it goes!

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

geoker55
Mt. Kenya

Thanks!  I will do this in the new year so I know the exact miles so I can see any duplicates on the last years.

Jane
Moderator Moderator

Hi @geoker55 

Thanks for posting about this and good news - you don't have to stop using Strava for 90 days.

Go ahead and link your Garmin and Strava accounts.  Once you do that, your previous 90 days worth of Garmin activities will attempt to sync to Strava.  There's 2 things than might happen:

1.  Our system attempts to detect duplicate activities upon upload, and if a duplicate is detected we don't sync it to your account.  If the start times of the activities are within seven seconds of each other, the duplicate upload will be rejected.

2. Scenario two is that at least some of your 90 activity history will not meet the 7 second rule described above, and those will sync to your account, resulting in duplicate activities.  If that happens, please submit a support ticket and Strava Support will be able to use a bulk delete tool to quickly remove those duplicates from your account.

I hope that's helpful; drop us a reply and let us know if how it goes!

Jane (she/her)
STRAVA | Community Hub Team